Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jude and his faithful & loving daddy
"FREE FALLING"

"Don't do that when daddy is not around, or you will fall down." That's what I just heard my husband say to our son as he fearlessly plunged into his daddy’s open arms.  He was standing at the end of the couch, using his arms for stability since his little legs cannot support his body yet.  Jason having just got home from work made his way over to the oversized white chair next to where Jude stood.  When Jason and Jude made eye contact, I watched as they both lit up.  Jude even let out a little giggle of joy.  Then Jason opened both arms and had just enough distance between himself and Jude that our 9 month baby would have to remove his stability to fall into his father’s embrace.  I looked at Jude and said, "Go to daddy, you can trust him, he will catch you."  And Jude, never taking his eyes off of his daddy released his hands and fell forward with complete child-like trust.  

What a beautiful picture of "child-like” faith!  If only we could all decide without hesitation to plunge into our Fathers open arms.  What if we didn't hesitate or become paralyzed with fear?  Can you imagine the confidence that would come with KNOWING we would be embraced by God?  What if we could just let go of our hold on temporary stability and accept the security our Father so desires us to have.  Fear is the opposite of trust!  If we were to keep our eyes on the Lord, and not focus so much on our circumstance, I believe we would be able to fall uninhibitedly into the peace of God's perfect will for our lives.  

Today my devotional quoted this scripture "For just as the heaves are higher than earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:9. What a beautiful reminder that we don't have to depend on our own understanding or our own grasp of what we believe is "safe."  We can completely rest in the promise that God will always think abundantly more for us, and His ways will always be far greater than our own.  

While Jude was holding on for dear life to the couch, I bet he was thinking that he was invincible.  He had a look of determination on his face, even as his unstable legs teetered.  He was looking at me square in the eye, almost as though he was proud of his accomplishment.  The reality of the matter is despite the effort, it was just a matter of time before my sweet little boy's grasp weakened and caused him to fall to the ground.  The couch could not guarantee him stability because there was no back to support his under-developed legs.  

"Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the LORD will protect you from behind"- Isaiah 58:8

Do we cling to our unstable circumstances?  Do we exude pride in our own strength to hold ourselves up?  I personally struggle with blind faith!  I have a need to know, and when there is uncertainty I stand with my hands tightly gripped on to my circumstances, wavering in mediocrity.  This is not God’s best for me, or you.  

When Jason found his way over to his son he just simply opened his arms, and without hesitation Jude leaned in, almost in slow motion.  He undoubtedly knew that his daddy was going to scoop him up into a firm and secure embrace.  As a mother, it was a beautiful sight.  There is nothing greater than to watch your child fall in love with you and your spouse.  The first time they call out for "Mama" or "Dah"… How it takes our breath away.  Don't you believe that Jesus loves us FAR greater than we could ever love our own children?  Do you believe that it brings him joy to hear us call out his name?  It wasn't until having a son that I was able to truly grasp God’s love for me.  I treasure the moments my baby "needs" me.  So, I can only imagine that our Heavenly Father cherishes those moments we depend on him with complete confidence that his love is enough to provide a life more abundant than we could ever fathom.  

I am reminded of this song; “Oh Lord, You’re beautiful.  Your face is all I see.  And when your eyes are on this child, your grace abounds to me.” 

My  son’s  faith in his father has inspired me to see only God’s face in the midst of my wavering circumstances.  To rest in the peace of his promises to me that when his eyes meet mine, I can lean into his embrace.  

I challenge you to take the plunge into your Father’s arms today.  No matter what your situation might be, release your grasp on your unstable reality and trust that if you fix your eyes on the Lord, He will support you and bring you to a place of safety.

He led me to a place of safety; He rescued me because he delights in me. Psalm 18:19

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I LOVE this. First of all, it is beautifully written. 2nd, one of my strengths is "Activator" - I like to jump in and make things happen. The counterfeit to that strength (what Satan lies to me to make me think my strength is a weakness even though God made me this way) is that I leap before looking "Ready, Fire, Aim" -
    I can just say that free falling and letting God completely use me and be an empty vessel that he can mold in any way he wants, is the most exciting, fun and crazy life ever. I wouldn't want it any other way. TD Jakes had a quote once that is something like, "What would you do if you had no fear? Whatever your answer is, that is what fear is robbing you from."
    LOOOOVE.

    ReplyDelete